Home News News list NATECLA seeking BREXIT clarification from Government

NATECLA seeking BREXIT clarification from Government

Back to news list
14 March 2019

NATECLA, in collaboration with the Association of Colleges, has written to two senior officials to seek clarification on the rights of EU students in accessing Further Education provision, including ESOL, after the UK leaves the EU: 

We have written to:

The content of the letters is as follows and we will keep the ESOL community updated on any responses received:

NATECLA (the membership body for ESOL teachers in the UK) is writing to you in collaboration with the Association of Colleges (AoC) to seek clarification on the EU Exit no deal guidance for FE and apprenticeship providers. As the UK prepares to leave the EU, we will both play a key role in helping to disseminate information to colleges, but we need to be clear on Government guidance to do so effectively. 

In referring to the Government’s recently published guidance on the Gov.UK website, we welcome further clarification in relation to three points arising from the following two key documents:

A) The guidance termed ‘EU exit: no deal preparations for FE and apprenticeship providers’, and
B) The guidance termed ‘European Temporary Leave to Remain in the UK’

  1. Guidance in B refers to the permission granted to EEA citizens arriving after 29th March 2019 who can stay in the UK for up to 3 months before applying for Temporary Leave to Remain. In the event of a no-deal EU Exit, could you confirm our understanding that that these citizens will be able to work and study in the UK during the 3 months?
  2. As per in both A and B, does 'right to education' or study include fully-funded further education under the adult education budget? For the academic year 2018-19, will any EU Nationals arriving after 29th March be allowed to study from 30th March to 31st July 2019 (more than the 3-month initial leave period mentioned in the European Temporary Leave to Remain in the UK guidance) on short courses in FE?
  3. B states that EU citizens will need to apply for Temporary Leave to Remain if they wish to stay longer than 3 months in the UK. Should FE institutions enrol newly arrived EU citizens as per current ESFA procedure, including where they are enrolling on courses of longer than 3 months’ duration? Will any additional processes be required?
We look forward to a response at your earliest convenience .

Yours sincerely,
Nafisah Graham-Brown
Co-chair, NATECLA  

David Hughes
Chief Executive, AoC

Search Press Releases