This privacy statement sets out how the National Association for Teaching English and Community Languages to Adults (NATECLA) utilises and protects your personal information when you use our website. For GDPR requirements, NATECLA is the data controller and data processor of any personal data you supply.
NATECLA is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. If we ask you to provide certain information that can identify you when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
NATECLA may change this statement from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page periodically to ensure that you are happy with any changes.
If you have any queries relating to this statement or how your personal information is used, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who are we?
NATECLA (National Association for Teaching English and other Community Languages to Adults) is the national forum and professional organisation for ESOL teachers. We are a registered UK charity (number 1154124) and our registered address is: NATECLA, c/o South and City College Birmingham, Hall Green Campus, Cole Bank Road, Hall Green, Birmingham B28 8ES. Find out more about NATECLA.
How do we collect information from you?
We obtain information about you when you use our website, for example, when you sign up for one of our events, join NATECLA as a member or contact us about sector news or other information related to ESOL professionals.
What we collect
We may collect the following information:
- name and job title
- contact information including email address and address
- other information relevant to your job role, e.g. your contract or organisation type
- Your gender
- Your date of birth
How is your information used?
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and, in particular, for the following reasons:
- internal record keeping
- to improve the services we offer to our community of ESOL practitioners
- to send you a copy of Language Issues, NATECLA’s ESOL journal, twice a year. This only applies to members of NATECLA and Language Issues subscribers.
- to send you our monthly electronic newsletter, Monthly Update which contains details of news and events of relevance to our members. You can opt out of receiving this communication at any time
- to periodically send additional promotional emails about events organised by NATECLA or of relevance to our ESOL community and other news items
- to occasionally contact you for market research purposes. In this instance we may contact you by email, phone or mail.
How long is your data kept for?
To comply with GDPR guidelines, we will only retain your personal data for as long as is deemed necessary. As a result, if you have not interacted with NATECLA within a timeframe of two years, we will delete all your personal data from our database.
We will regard the following as interactions:
- renewing your membership
- attending a NATECLA event or meeting
- opening an edition of Monthly Update, Language Issues (the electronic journal distributed to all members) or any other email-based documents
- making a booking for our in-house training arm, NATECLA training
- contacting us by email or telephone for a purpose classified as a positive interaction (i.e. to ask a question about NATECLA activity).
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
It is possible to switch off cookies by setting your browser preferences although this may result in a loss of functionality when using our website.
Links to other websites
Our website contains links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over their content. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and they are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website, look for the box that you can click to indicate that you do not want to be contacted by NATECLA for any purpose
- if you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by emailing us at email@example.com
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you (known as a data access request). If you would like a copy of this information, email firstname.lastname@example.org
or write to NATECLA, c/o South and City College Birmingham, Hall Green Campus, Cole Bank Road, Hall Green, Birmingham B28 8ES.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible, at the above addresses. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
Requesting that we delete your personal information
If you feel there is no further requirement for NATECLA to continue to use and store your personal data, you can request that we delete it. This is known as ‘the right to be forgotten’. Email email@example.com if you would like us to delete your personal data from our systems.
Sharing personal information
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you are happy for us to contact you.
Transferring your information outside of Europe
Information which you provide to us may be transferred to countries outside the European Union (“EU”). By way of example, this may happen if we upload any personal data to our cloud storage accounts or when your data is added to our CRM system whose server is located in a non-EU country. These countries may not have similar data protection laws to the UK. By submitting your personal data, you’re agreeing to this transfer, storing or processing. If we transfer your information outside of the EU in this way, we will take steps to ensure that appropriate security measures are taken with the aim of ensuring that your privacy rights continue to be protected as outlined in this statement.
Contacting the Information Commissioner’s Office ICO)
If you feel that NATECLA are misusing your personal data in any way, you have a right to report this to the ICO. You can call their helpline on 0303 123 1113 or visit their website. .